Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hello Again!

It's been a while since I have updated this blog, and in about a week, you'll be able to see why...on the runway at DC Fashion Week! My fall 2012 collection, Night Flight of Dread and Delight is not only my first full collection - with 12 looks consisting of 21 garments - but it is also my first foray into fashion week, and I can tell you, I'm excited! But I am also very proud - not in the egotistical sense, but in the feeling of accomplishment. I am also proud to say that 100% of the collection is eco-friendly, and I am proud to find so many companies and manufacturers combining organic and earth friendly materials with great design and sustainable practices. That is why I have decided to update this blog now - to showcase these materials and their creators.

I will begin, as interesting stories often do, at the end. And, in sewing, that is usually the buttons.
I found these awesome buttons from WoodButtons.com, which were perfect for this collection as I wanted something that looked like an owl eye. At first I thought I would just have to use teddy bear eyes, but those are either plastic (fossil fuels) or glass (which takes a lot of energy), not to mention it would ship from half way around the world! So, enter Wood Buttons to save the day. I'll let them explain the rest:
Our wood and corozo are sourced from 100% renewable resources. For every two trees we cut, we plant three! We care about the planet and so should you. 
and
You're buying from an authentic American company; not a trade company with a factory overseas. We manufacture everything right here in Brooklyn, USA.
That last part is just as important. What's the point of buying organic or renewable materials, if they're being manufactured by wage slaves and being shipped hundreds of miles, using fossil fuels? Just something to think about when using bamboo fabrics... but that's a topic for another post.

For now, check out this great company and all the interesting designs they have!
 

1 comment: